Monday 13 December 2010

Update from Jagtar's ESOL class at Crisis

This has been the last week of the Making an ESOL Musical course and I’m really happy with how well it has gone. (ESOL stands for English for speakers of other languages). I’m particularly pleased because it's the first time I have taught a class with a wide-range of student levels.

The students’ levels ranged from Pre-intermediate through to Upper-intermediate so managing that within a classroom has been especially rewarding for me during this course.

The reason we have mixed-ability groups is because we only have the resources to run one class at a time. I had to take this into consideration when I was writing the course. Luckily my teaching experience allows me to create courses for mixed abilities (although there is always room for improvement!)

This week I called in at International House London to give a presentation to the teachers about the work I am doing at Crisis. I also highlighted some of the challenges that we face working with people who are homeless or have experienced homelessness. This is a good insight for my colleagues: they are either interested in this type of teaching or put off by it!

Next time I'll tell you more about the Crisis Christmas party, which is a great opportunity for us all to relax before the build up to Christmas and all that we do during this time.

- Jagtar Behal

No comments:

Post a Comment