Monday 8 March 2010

Recipe of the Month - an easy one!

Hi there - I'm Mat and I work in the Sales and Marketing Department at IH London. I've been here for quite some time, 11 years! and in that time I have clocked up quite a few air miles visiting countries and promoting the school.

There is far more to learning about a culture than studying its language. As I enjoy cooking and get to travel regularly to all sorts of places, I often like to entertain my friends and have themed events where I cook a particular country's food.

I had the opportunity to interview one of our Arabic teachers some years ago and this led me to looking into the food that is eaten in some Arabic speaking countries. The other weekend I entertained 9 friends to a Moroccan Day. Apart from turning my dining room into a tent and filling it with north African lamps and cushions, I had to prepare an array of meals from Hummus and breads, to Lamb and Apricot Tagines.

The great thing about studying in a large city like London, is that you can buy almost any ingredients in the capital. A great time was had by all, but more importantly, this is an excellent way to explore the language and culture of other nationalities and have fun whilst doing it.

My next event is going to be Japanese as I travel there in April – but you could easily do any nationality – even English!

If you fancy "having a bash" (having a go) at making Hummus – its really easy and delicious

(recipe for 4 people)

  • 200g/7oz canned chickpeas
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice or more
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 3 tbsp water
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp paprika or Cayenne pepper


Put all ingredients (except paprika or Cayenne) into a food processor and blend until smooth. Put into a bowl and sprinkle with cayenne or paprika and a little olive oil – grab a pita bread and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment